Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cow


This is the cow that I've modeled. For a few 3DVA works including this, I failed to take screenshots while I was doing it as I have a habit to finish what I am doing and I dislike incompleted work. I apologise for this and in the future I will take screnshots while I'm doing my work.

Being able to attain such a nice head is due to the step by step video provided. Without the video, my model's head most likely will not turn out this nice. The guided process was detailed and informative, reveaking things that did not cross my mind when I model. Although there isn't a video for the modeling of the body, the teacher gave me advices like how to make the feet, legs, body and hands look realistic, I managed to come up with this body. Though it may not be the best, but I've learned and recapped many points when modeling the cow. Topology is very important to creating a good model. Simply adjusting the vertex, edge and faces can produce different results. Adding edge loops makes the edge flow smoother and greatly improves the topology of the model.

The guidance from the teacher and through modeling this cow, I also realised that it is important to consider the anatomy of creatures and humans. Knowing how it looks like, how much it is able to bend in a certain direction and the list goes on. This understanding will result in a model that look and move naturally. Knowing how to image the topology of the thing that will be modeled is also a good skill to possess as it breaks down the thing and provides an idea on how to go about making it.

Points that I've learned/recapped for Maya are: Mirror geometry helps you join the vertices which proves to be a better tool than duplicate depending on the situation.
Extruding and adjusting different elements like faces and edges produces different results which provides many different options.
Pressing insert button allows you to adjust the pivot which affects adjusting factors like rotation. Different pivot positions produce different rotation results. 
Using the merge vertex tools have different results depending on which vertex you select first.
Not advisable to use convert polygons to subdiv as faces cannot be deleted in subdiv. 

No comments:

Post a Comment